Protective Security Courses
ASIO-T4 Security Practitioners Course Security Zones.
This course covers the key elements of Security Zones (for the protection of information), as identified in the Australian Government Protective Security Policy Framework (PSPF) with a focus on the practical application of ASIO Technical Notes 1/15 Physical Security of Zones and 5/12 Physical Security of Zone 5 Areas and associated annexes.
Attendance at ASIO-T4 training courses is subject to a comprehensive nomination process to ensure the limited spaces are utilised by those who have the most pressing need for our training. Participants must have a minimum Baseline Clearance and acceptance of applications is at ASIO's discretion.
Entry is limited to:
- Australian Government agency security personnel;
- State or Territory Government agency security personnel who are required to apply the PSPF for the protection of Australian Government information;
- Defence Industry Security Program (DISP) facility security officers with sponsorship from an Australian Government department or agency.
Consultants are not eligible to attend this course. Consultants that wish to attend training in the construction of PSPF Security Zones are encouraged to consider the SCEC Security Zone Consultant program.
- Introduction to ASIO-T4 and the Security Construction and Equipment Committee (SCEC)
- Threat environment
- Construction security
- Physical security and certification/accreditation requirements for Security Zones (including Sensitive Compartmented Information Facilities);
- Security plans and procedures
- Class A, B and C Secure Rooms
- Overview of detectors (as applied in Security Zones)
- Type 1 and Type 1A Security Alarm Systems
- Protection of classified discussions
- Destruction of official information
- Security containers and combination changing
- Security hardware, locking devices and keying systems
It is expected that course attendees have an understanding of basic security risk management principles and are familiar with the Australian Government PSPF.
We are now accepting applications for 2017 Security Zones courses to be held on the following dates:
- 22 - 25 August 2017 (close by date 7 July 2017)
Course cost - $2900
Duration - 4 days
Location - Canberra
Successful applicants will be notified one week after the close date.
For any queries regarding this course, please phone (02) 6234 1217.
These involve a comprehensive review of security threats and the development of recommended protective security measures, using risk-based methodology. ASIO-T4 has direct access to threat-based risk information in the risk review process, so as to assess all known potential sources of security risks. Recommendations will typically include physical, electronic, administrative, and procedural security measures to manage the risk.
ASIO-T4 provides an ongoing specific advisory service for Government clients, on how best to protect their people, information and physical assets. This advice is tailored to address individual and specific requirements.
Advice may include perimeter security, access control measures, CCTV, alarm systems, locks and other door hardware, advice on the construction of new buildings, security zone construction, guarding arrangements, security audits and administrative and personnel security.
ASIO-T4 also assists State and Territory governments and law enforcement agencies that provide counter-terrorism protective security advice to state and territory critical infrastructure.
ASIO-T4 is the certification authority, nominated in the Australian Government PSPF, for the physical security certification of all facilities/zones where the compromise, loss of integrity or unavailability of the information would have a catastrophic business impact level. This includes facilities/zones holding and/or discussing Top Secret security classified information and facilities/zones that have a large aggregation of information at lower classifications. Re-certification is required at least every five years. Early consultation with ASIO-T4 is recommended to ensure new facilities have the appropriate level of security built in from the design stage.
ASIO-T4 is responsible for certifying the physical security of Australian Signals Directorate Certified Gateway Service Provider facilities, intended for use by multiple Australian Government agencies as listed in the Business, Procurement and Asset Management Group, Department of Finance and Deregulation, Internet Gateway Reduction Program.
ASIO-T4 offers technical surveillance countermeasures (TSCM) assistance to Australian Government departments and agencies to provide a level of assurance that highly classified or sensitive discussions and information are not subject to compromise through technical means – for example, through covert listening devices.
TSCM inspections are an important element of an appropriate protective security environment and must be supported by physical and procedural measures to ensure the integrity of an inspected area is maintained.
External destruction services are evaluated against T4 criteria to perform offsite destruction of sensitive and security classified information using approved equipment. ASIO-T4 Approved Destruction Service listings may be made available upon request from ASIO-T4 or on the Govdex Protective Security Policy (PSP) community on GovDex. Access to the PSP community is for government security personnel only, to gain access please contact the Attorney-General's Dept at email@example.com.
ASIO-T4 has developed a range of publications to assist in the application of the Protective Security Policy Framework.
- ASIO Technical Notes – are minimum guidelines for developing security zones in line with the PSPF;
- Security Equipment Guides – assist agencies when procuring a range of lower level security products. They contain advice on the selection and application of security products, including reference to Australian standards, best security practices, limitations of their use etc.;
- Protective Security Circulars – highlight current protective security issues and short to long term mitigations if applicable.
Publications are available from ASIO-T4 or on the Protective Security Policy community on GovDex (access to the PSP community is for government personnel only - to gain access please contact the Attorney-General's Department at firstname.lastname@example.org).
ASIO-T4 has released a range of guides to assist security managers in protecting their people, property, assets and information. For example:
- Critical infrastructure guide: Develop and review security plans;
- Critical infrastructure guide: Selecting security systems and hardware;
- Security manager guide: Detecting and responding to hostile reconnaissance and rehearsals in Australia;
- Security manager guide: Protective security advice for heightened terrorism threat environments in Australia.
These publications are available from ASIO-T4, or are accessible by subscribers to ASIO's Business Liaison Unit website.