Applications for a 2021 intake will open in January 2020.
As an Intelligence Professional trainee, you will undertake 12 months of training which will consist of class and work-based (practical) training. Theoretical and Organisational training will be based in Canberra and will make-up the first nine months of this extensive program. The final three months will be spent in a structured workplace program, either in Canberra or a state office. During this period, you’ll see first-hand what it’s like to work as an Intelligence Professional and enjoy on-the-job development alongside ASIO colleagues.
During the Intelligence Development Program (IDP), Intelligence Professionals will earn between $82,281* and $88,333 plus 15.4% superannuation. Upon successful completion of the program you will be promoted, and the salary range will increase to between $90,945 and $102,480 plus 15.4% superannuation.
Within the IDP we have two opportunities for you to consider.
Intelligence Officers have a breadth of career opportunities within ASIO with postings in both analytical and human intelligence collection roles.
To be a successful Intelligence Officer you need to:
- Enjoy a varied role;
- Have the ability to make good decisions on your feet; and
- Feel comfortable engaging with people from all walks of life, cultures and demographics.
If this is the role for you you must have completed a minimum three years bachelor’s degree, be willing to be mobile (potentially moving to an Australian Capital city every three to five years), have a current C class drivers licence and be flexible and willing to regularly travel and accept a variety of positions throughout your career.
Intelligence Analysts will be posted to a broad range of analytical roles within ASIO throughout their careers.
To be a successful Intelligence Analyst you need to:
- Enjoy working in teams to solve complex problems;
- Have excellent judgement to count in the protection of Australia’s security; and
- Have the ability to communicate clearly, accurately and in a timely and audience-appropriate manner.
If this is the role for you you must have completed a minimum three years bachelor’s degree before commencement and be willing to relocate to Canberra for training and ongoing employment.
In addition to our eligibility requirements you must:
- Have completed a minimum three-year bachelor’s degree before the commencement of the IDP; and
- Be willing to relocate to Canberra for the training period (some assistance is provided).
*Annual salary effective 1 July 2018.