The Information Technology and Information Management Traineeship is a two year program targeting school leavers, with successful participants gaining a recognised certification in either Information Technology or Records Management. During the program you will develop knowledge, skills and capabilities to equip you to become a high performing and valued officer that contributes to the important outcomes of ASIO.
As you complete your two year Certificate IV, trainees will be rotated through a diverse range of work placements, embedded within various professional teams to build your knowledge base. In conjunction with ongoing mentorship, this close connectivity at all levels is designed to ensure a seamless integration into what is a fast paced and unique workplace.
On commencement of the traineeship you will be paid $58,330* plus 15.4% superannuation. Subject to achievement of all competencies you will be promoted to an Information Technology Employee Grade 1.1 with a salary of $82,281* plus 15.4% superannuation.
Information Technology (IT) Traineeship
As an IT Trainee you should be able to:
- Work effectively within a team environment;
- Solve problems;
- Communicate clearly; and
- Have a commitment to ongoing technical skills development and specialisation; and
- Complete a Certificate IV in Information Technology.
IT Traineeship work placements could be in the following teams:
- Server Operations – responsible for the design, maintenance and administration of ASIO’s corporate server environment.
- Desktops – responsible for the supply and support of ASIO ICT systems.
- Networking Data, Voice and Video – responsible for the design and monitoring of ASIOs networks.
- Information Security – responsible for ensuring the security of ASIO’s ICT.
- Service Management – responsible for the provision of IT help desk services.
- Applications Development – responsible for providing a range for services related to the development and support of web applications.
Information Management (IM) Traineeship
As an IM Trainee your day-to-day tasks may involve:
- Researching and drafting information management policies;
- Providing initial IT client support;
- Providing records management services;
- Mail and courier services;
- File creation and information processing;
- Contributing to the agency’s digital archiving and preservation efforts;
- Reviewing and releasing ASIO records under the Archives Act; and
- Assisting in the purchase of IT equipment and services; and
- Completing a Certificate IV in Information Management.
During your placements within Information Service Branch you will learn:
- How to set up and manage records systems;
- How to manage the full lifecycle of records;
- How to communicate and plan in a work environment; and
- How to use numerous ASIO information systems.
*Annual salary as at 1 July 2018, inclusive of 7.5% service allowance.
Applications for Traineeships are currently closed.