Oversight and Accountability
ASIO operates within a particularly stringent oversight and accountability framework.
We operate under the control of the Director-General of Security who is responsible to the Attorney-General.
ASIO operates within a particularly stringent oversight and accountability framework, a mechanism which underpins ASIO's performance within the relevant legislation in exercising our roles and functions.
Key elements of this framework include:
- a highly classified Annual Report that is provided to members of the National Security Committee of Cabinet and the Leader of the Opposition;
- an unclassified Report to Parliament which is available publicly;
- the Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security;
- the Parliamentary Joint Committee on Intelligence and Security and other Parliamentary committees, including the Senate Standing Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs;
- the Security Appeals Division of the Administrative Appeals Tribunal;
- Attorney-General's Guidelines for governing ASIO's handling of aspects of our work;
- The Independent Reviewer of Adverse Security Assessments; and
- The Independent National Security Legislation Monitor.
In addition, ASIO's financial records and systems are subject to annual audit by the Australian National Audit Office (ANAO).